5 Reasons you need a Financial Advisor
Health is wealth. Good health is not just the absence of any illness, but complete physical and mental wellness of an individual.
In today’s world, stress affects both physical and mental health – and one contributor to stress is the state an individual’s finances.
We all have financial goals we want to reach, and savings just don’t cut it. It’s important to invest. While we invest, how do we know we’re doing the right thing for our goals?
Here’s where your financial doctor, or advisor, comes into the picture. Just like you need a doctor for your physical or mental health, you need one for your finances too.
So, how can your financial doctor help you?
- Understand your financial health –Your financial advisor will work with you to assess your current financial health – your assets, liabilities, income and expenses. He/she will also consider any expected future obligations (insurance, taxes, other long-term expenses) and sources of income (pension, gifts, etc.) to get a complete picture of where you stand.
- Assess your goals –Once your advisor maps out where you stand, he/she will understand your investment goals, time frame and risk appetite. An understanding of risk appetite will allow your advisor to determine your asset allocation. He/she will also assess your retirement needs at this stage. Invest now
- Build the financial plan –The next stage is where your advisor charts out a comprehensive financial plan for your goals. This plan will include details such as where to invest, how much to invest, for how long to invest. He/she has the expertise to understand how all these products will work in tandem for you to achieve your goals. The plan will also look at your retirement plan, your projected withdrawal rates during retirement and have the best- and worst-case scenarios for your expected life span. If you’re already investing for your goals, your advisor will review your current habits and suggest a course of action. If you’re investing without goals in mind, your advisor will help you allocate your existing investments for your goals. Read why goal-based investing is important here. Once your plan is ready, it’s on you to implement it.
- Help you understand where you’re investing –When building your financial plan, it is important to understand the products you’re investing in. The pros and cons, how it fits in your portfolio, what it can do for you – your advisor will help you with this.
- Regular reviews and adjustments –It’s a good idea to revisit your investments regularly to check if you’re on track, review what you’re doing and see if you need to adjust your plan to incorporate new goals or modify/remove existing ones. Depending on your needs, your advisor will suggest changes to take you closer to your goals.
Financial advisors are the doctors you need for your financial health. With their expertise, you can get the best out of your investments.
December 5, 2022
October 4, 2022